Friday, October 12, 2007

Using the senses

Sparked by my critique group's monthly exercise, I recall a time at high school when we were asked to write a piece using our senses. In order to do this more successfully we had to blind-fold each other and describe what we encountered. I have never forgotten this experience. It forced me to 'look' at things in a totally different way.
One of my childhood influencers was a blind lady. She taught me to knit using two colors. Still to this day I don't know how she did it. She would say the cotton felt different. It was the same brand, same ply, same labels but she could still tell when she was using pink and not blue.
I have always thought there was a particular type of personality who likes to touch and feel. You know her. She's the lady who enters the boutique and immediately grabs to feel the material. She doesn't respond to color or patterns but will purchase on the feel of the material or how the garment makes her feel when she puts it on. (Yes I used to work in a ladies-wear boutique)
Well now I apply these types of sensory awareness situations to my writing. And yes, I am one of those touchy, feely type of people. So I guess that helps.
If you have trouble with putting the other senses to work in your writing, try the old exercise above. Blindfold yourself and spend some time listening, tasting, feeling and smelling or even sixth sensing. There is a spiritual world out there. Let's not forget about that one.
You will be amazed at those other worlds that exist.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie I love your blog, wise words indeed. I'm a toucher, if the material isn't correct nothing feels right.

Rachel.C said...

Hi Annie,
The blog looks great.
Rachel.C

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Great idea, Annie!
And welcome to the world of blogging :)
So glad you enjoyed Princess Australia. It's always a thrill to hear from a happy reader :)

Sandie Hudson said...

Great Blog Annie, I look forward to reading more from you and your writing journey.

Sandie

Claire Baxter said...

Hi Annie,

Lovely way to start your blog, and a great bio.

Claire

Vega Stone said...

Wonderful first entry. Welcome to blogging. I know what you mean about being a kinesthetic person. I always feel the need to be doing something with my hands, even when I'm watching TV. Let's not forget there's a spiritual world out there. I look forward to reading more.

e.m.eden said...

Aloha &welcome new blogger,
is that a photo of Venice on top of your page?
Eva