Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Floor Plans


Design - Homestead 37 - copyrighted to Newstart Homes

Whenever a new house is about to be built, the owners and builder pour over their floor plans making sure every detail is accounted for before construction begins. My DH is a builder and my bro is a house designer and my DD and her hubby are developing several properties, so I have seen my fair share of plans in my time.
As I am about to start a new story, I am still researching a couple of ideas. One of them includes the house where a lot of interaction will take place. In order to do it justice I think it is always important to draw a floor plan. I have done this several times: once for the main house of my last story, the other was a pub where several scenes were set (although the detail here wasn't as complete as for the house).
I not only use the collage for visual accuracy but I draw the floor plans to give credibility and ease for describing scenes.
Go to March 14 for my blog on collage or copy and paste this link - http://anniedoyle.blogspot.com/2008/03/collage-helps-my-creative-process.html
If the heroine turned to walk away from the dining table and walked into a wall it could prove a little embarrassing. It also helps when it comes time to describe the light or shadows or views from a room or balcony etc.
Do you use this floor plan kind of planning in your research or do you merely go with the flow and design around your characters wants and needs? I would be interested to hear your comments.
Regards Annie

3 comments:

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Hi Annie,
No I have never used a floor plan. I guess I see the rooms in my head. As for balconys, I have a sheet that reminds me to describe the five senses. But I see this could be a good idea. With each wip, describe all senses from within the house and the balcony. It may help me with my descriptive prose. hehe

Thanks,
Suz

Sandie Hudson said...

Hi Annie,

I often draw floor plans for the houses in my novels. I find it easier to draw my own because I can relate to the house better. I also find pictures of the furniture, especially if I'm using antiques.

I'm editing at the moment, well I'm suppose to be editing. LOL.

Hugs
Sandie

Jennifer Shirk said...

I have a very "loose" floor plan. But sometimes my characters put doors and walls in without me knowing.